All About Oral Cancer
April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, and our dental office in Tysons Corner thought we should dedicate a blog this month to help educate our patients and community on the prevalence of oral cancer in America, what increases someone’s likelihood of developing the disease, and how to spot signs of oral cancer.
Oral Cancer Statistics
Like any other cancer, oral cancer is a complicated disease that takes the lives of many individuals. While scientists continue researching cures and treatments are always improving, the data surrounding the oral cancer epidemic is still scary.
- According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, nearly 50,000 Americans will be newly diagnosed with oral cancer in 2017.
- Of those, only a little over half are expected to live longer than 5 years.
- This year alone, oral cancer will kill one person every hour of every day.
- Across the globe, an estimated 450,000 oral cancer diagnoses are made each year.
Oral Cancer Risks
While anyone can develop oral cancer, there are several factors that increase the likelihood of diagnosis. Of these, there are few we can control and others we can’t.
- The top risk factor is tobacco use. An estimated 80% of oral cancer patients are, or have been, tobacco users.
- As we get older, our risk of oral cancer increases. The majority of oral cancer patients are over the age of 55.
- Gender can also play a role. Men are two times more likely to develop oral cancer than women.
- Drinking alcohol heavily also increases your risk.
Oral Cancer Symptoms
- Pain while swallowing, chewing, or speaking
- Changes in voice
- A sore or discoloration that doesn’t go away after two weeks
- A lump inside the mouth or neck
- Chronic bad breath
Signs of oral cancer can be similar to other non-serious oral health issues. If you notice any of the symptoms above, we strongly encourage you to call your dentist in Tysons Corner as soon as you can. Early detection of oral cancer greatly increases the chance for successful treatment. This is also one reason why you should see your dentist at least every six months.
At our Tysons Corner dental office, we care about keeping our neighbors healthy. If there are any questions we can answer, or if you’re looking for advice on oral cancer treatment, give us a call.
You Might Also Enjoy...
While you’re gearing up to head out on summer vacation this year, you’ll probably pack a bunch of first-aid items, extra clothes, and a load of medication because you can’t be too careful. Anything can happen at anytime. But what do you do if you have a dental emergency while away? At my Vienna dental…
During the month of October, Vienna, VA, Dentist, Micheal Silveus is trying to increase breast cancer awareness. Why, you ask? Just take a look at some of these hard-hitting facts: Every 2 minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the U.S. (Edith Sanford) In 2014, about 410 men will die from breast cancer. (Susan G. Komen) Over 250,000 women…
Yellowed teeth can raise eyebrows: What’s going on with this person’s physical, emotional or financial health? Why have they let themselves go? Consider bright white teeth, which communicate positive health! Believe it or not, there are foods out there that can naturally whiten your smile! Natural Stain Removers A stain dissolving compound known as malic…